Speargun fishing is a unique and fun underwater hobby. When you try speargun fishing with us, you will become passionate about it, and the whole experience will leave you speechless.
Speargun fishing is not harmful to the marine environment compared to other fishing techniques adopted by humankinds. Unlike harmful and damaging fishing methods, such as fishing with nets, explosives or other tools, speargun fishing is an environment-friendly method in which divers must consider several things (mentioned later in this section) before using their spearguns.
Speargun Fishing Safety and Security Regulations
Fitness, paying attention and playing by the rules are the keys of speargun fishing. There is an established rule that can never be broken regardless of your diving style. This rule states that you must play by diving rules whenever you fish. Divers must follow this rule during their whole dive. We have summarised some advice that you have to take seriously. Failure to do so will lead to serious consequences, as has happened before.
Safety and Security Regulations
• Take into account weather conditions, wind, wave height, visibility and currents.
• The speargun is for undersea use only, so it is strictly forbidden to use it at the surface.
• Never point your speargun at any of your buddies.
• Do not hunt big fish that you cannot pull as they can pull you or may cause loss of your speargun.
• Do not go under the water without a fishing or diving buddy and, for whatever reason, do not go fishing or diving alone.
• Do not put your life in danger. Calculate your air consumption rates before your free diving or scuba diving.
• Do not hang fish on the buoy at the surface, so that you can avoid being attacked by big fish.
• Divers must put a buoy at the surface with a sign (diver’s flag) that tells the passing boats that there are divers.
• If you see sharks, unhesitatingly stop fishing and leave the water quietly with keeping an eye on the shark.
Marie Environment and Speargun Fishing
There marine environment and the fishing community have several ethical obligations. Without respecting these obligations, the hobby will be meaningless and will not exist as time passes. Playing by these rules and obligations will help you to find a unique pleasure in being responsible. They are summarized as follows:
• Avoid overfishing and do not fish everything you see.
• Respect the marine environment and do not touch anything even the waste that became part of that environment.
• Be quiet while moving from one location to another during fishing, so you do not disturb others.
• Pay attention to the direction of the spear before launching it and avoid fishing the reefs.
• Do not hunt small fish and educate yourself about the breeding seasons in your region.
• Help other divers if needed.
• Pay attention to fishing in private locations and make sure to ask the owners before diving there.
• When you go down for fishing, make sure to keep your distance from other fishermen at the beach.
• Do not use internationally prohibited fishing methods.
• At the occurrence of any violation, deal with it positively and ensure that it does not recur.
Now that you are familiar with the rules of speargun fishing, we will make it easier for you to identify the types of spearguns that are used for underwater fishing. Many international companies place their products on the market. Make sure to use environment-friendly and modern equipment, so you enjoy safe and harmless fishing.
This type of spearguns is the best. When you put your wooden speargun in the sea, there is no trace of its weight on land. The heaviness of wooden rifles minimizes the recoil occurring when shooting. For this reason, a wooden speargun with the right shaft, rubber and buoyancy setting, you can make hunts that end with perfect results. Also, you can make double tire combinations with very strong tires because the mechanisms of wood rifles are high quality and durable. However, wooden spearguns require special care. You can take care of your wooden speargun by following these four important steps:
Wooden Spearguns Care
1. Wash the gun with fresh water very well immediately after diving or fishing.
2. Wash the rubber with fresh water and put some oil on it when it is dry.
3. From time to time, put some teak oil on the stock of your wood gun. Do not use other types of oils, such as olive oil and sesame oil as they would seriously damage the quality of your gun.
4. Do not leave your gun exposed to the heat of the sunlight, the trunk of your car, your house yard or the parking lot. Keep it always in a place where there are shadows.
There are a couple of high-quality local wooden spearguns. However, take into your consideration the specifications and standards mentioned on our website when you buy yours because a lot of the guns on the market are still undergoing testing.
Aluminium Spearguns are affordable and easy to carry outside of sea. They are very light inside and outside of the water. However, the lines that are placed on the sides of the gun will wear out gradually or slip unexpectedly. Therefore, the pipe will be full of water, which will make the gun heavier and prevent the divers from hunting their targets. Moreover, unlike wooden spearguns that float after firing the spear, most aluminium spearguns sink into the sea if you did not hold them. They also make noise when you fire the spear. As a result, the fish will get scared and your fishing will fail. Similar to wooden spearguns, aluminium spearguns require special care, however, you will not need to put any oil on them because they are made from metal.
Pneumatic Spearguns (They use compressed air to fire spears)
This type of spearguns is the best for female divers because they do not require any extreme physical strength or fitness like band-powered guns. Pneumatic spearguns are not a record turnout for many reasons. First, they are short. The second reason is that the firing of this type of spearfishing guns is not that strong compared to the band-powered guns. Also, a diver will run out of air too quickly, which will make him/her go up to the surface to compress air. Finally, these guns are not that practical and may sink into the sea as they are made from metal.
Band-powered guns vary in their size depending on the style of fishing you intend to use. Many spearfishing beginners are ignorant of measuring the size of their spearguns; they think the length of the spear is the size of the gun. However, the length of the gun is measured from the handle to the tip of the muzzle.
Choosing the size of your gun, as we mentioned, depends on your fishing style. So, if you are going to hunt in limited visibility, into holes or at night, you can choose a short gun while you use a longer one if you are going to hunt in good visibility or hunt far away fish.
Best Arrows and Spears
With regard to arrows, avoid using very long arrows because their weight will not allow you to hit your target. The gun is going to be tilted because of its heaviness.
Your spear should not be longer than 30-36 cm (maximum) when compared to the length of your gun. These measures will allow you to successfully hit your targets. Also, your spear should always be in its original state even if it was hard for your eye to see the effects of tampering with it. Thus, avoid tampering with the arrow spin wings that hold the rubber, and do not try to adjust the spear by, for example, adding new spin wings (sharkfin) or, as known in the Arab world, ‘Taryiha’.
The rubber length measurements are as follows:
• A 60 band-powered gun = A rubber measuring 16cm
• A 75 band-powered gun = A rubber measuring 19cm
• A 90 band-powered gun = A rubber measuring 22cm
• A 100 band-powered gun = A rubber measuring 24cm or 26cm
• A 110 and 115 band-powered gun = A rubber measuring 26cm or 28cm
These measurements are generally good, but in some cases, especially for professionals, the length and diameter of the spear must also be considered. If the length of the spear exceeded 25cm, you have to make it shorter, so you can get a harder push and prevent your spear from going down because of its heavy weight.
Many spear fishing use rubbers with a 16mm diameter where some of them use rubbers with less than 16mm diameter in order to get a harder push. However, it is important to pay attention to the number of rubbers because the more rubbers you have, the less successful your hunt becomes. In other words, the chances of the beginners hunting their targets successfully are higher when they use two rubbers. As for the professionals, they can have successful hunts even when they use four or more rubbers due to the experience they have. So, please do not try to imitate others!